Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Writing the Present Instead of Reading the Past

Early October 2016:
It's always this time of the year where I face the same heartache: homesickness. This year is especially special, considering that I recently came out of a relationship (that lasted two weeks, mind you) and I have a cold. And then of course there's the stress of school and work to top it all off. But that's nothing new. I have ten minutes before my next class and I was pondering why I feel the way I do. I'm smelling the familiar smells that are so ingrained in my memory from my freshman year two years ago and with those smells and the same lukewarm breeze come similar feelings. Why do I feel this way still? I thought I had gotten past all that, it was so long ago! I'm changed! I'm not that person anymore!

Yet that person is a part of me, it's something I've grown from, so it's still there, with all her memories and immaturities. 
But in all this I did realize that there is certainly something I can do. It's so obvious, so from the books and so cliche'. But so hard to really live. It's time to stop rereading my past and start writing my present more. I need to create new memories and live new, fresh moments, not associated with anything. Everything is new: new classes, new people,new clothes, new books, new experiences. Time to live now. No more climbing back to the past to avoid the hurt. Just let the grief pass through you, as it is so insistent on doing. Grief doesn't simply pass your door step. Even the blood of a lamb can't stop the hurt. Just live. It will leave when it's ready. And when you're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment